P.S. ELA-1 Language: Demonstrate command of the conventions of Standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
A. Notice and correct grammatical and mechanical errors in writing.
During the fourth quarter you will work to become masters of the grammar units which you have been responsible for this year.
The grammar mastery program is straightforward; the requirements that you are responsible for follows:
1. Compile the notes for each of the grammar units and pass them in together. The value of your combine notes will count as 5 homework grades.
2. Take the grammar mastery test for each grammar unit and achieve an 85 or better score. You will take the grammar tests after we review the grammar concept through the student writing prompts. You must receive a mastery score of 85 or better in order to receive credit for taking the test. You may not achieve a mastery score of 85 or better. You have options if you do not achieve the mastery score standard for a grammar unit. You may invest more time either in the learning lab or under my supervision in order to acquire points that will count toward your mastery test score. For every forty minutes that you spend on a grammar unit, you will receive 15 points toward that mastery unit test score. You gain points by learning more about the unit that you have not met the required standard for. Acquiring points may include taking notes or completing the various practices associated with each grammar unit. You may also re-take another mastery test over the same grammar unit that you failed to achieve the standard on. You may only take a retest one time for each grammar concept.
3. We will review the grammar concepts during the fourth quarter when we discuss the student writing prompts. You will be required to take the grammar mastery test relative to the grammar concept reviewed during the student writing prompt.
4. Once you have completed each of the grammar mastery tests according to the stated standard and you have submitted your notes for each unit you will have satisfactorily completed the grammar mastery program. Do not procrastinate and leave this responsibility up to the final days of the quarter. Managing your class time industriously will be necessary.
The Five Required Grammar Units (including notes and practice sites):
1. Parts of Speech
3. Sentence Types
4. Punctuation: End Marks, Colon, Semi Colon, Dash, Hyphen, Ellipsis, Apostrophe, Quotation Mark
5. Subject/Verb Agreement