BHS Chamber Choir Syllabus 2017-2018
Faculty Name: Ashley Albert
Office Hours: Orange 3-4, Black 1-2
Chamber Choir is the advanced, honors level performance course for vocalists at BHS. With regard to our High School Music Curriculum, “performing” is an artistic process that embraces 5 critical elements:
1) Selecting… artistic works or repertoire to perform
2) Analyzing… structure and composition
3) Interpreting… the expressive intent of the composer
4) Rehearsing/Evaluating/Refining… all the details and nuances of each selection through independently developed cognitive knowledge and motor skills
5) Presenting… the selections that are sufficiently prepared to be ‘brought back to life’ for an assembled audience
Chamber Choir is a performance-based course designed to develop students’ personal maturity, vocal ability and musical aptitude at a collegiate level. Curriculum will be centered on carefully selected literature, composed for 4 or more part choir. While this course is open to all BHS students by audition only, those unwilling or unable to commit to the required performances each semester should not be enrolled. Attendance at all rehearsals and performances is mandatory.
- Advanced application of verbal and non-verbal cues in daily rehearsal.
- Successful ensemble performance of literature that reflects growth in musical concepts.
- Successful ensemble performance of literature that reflects growth in personal responsibility to the ensemble.
- Successful ensemble performance of literature that reflects growth in vocal development.
- Successful performance of advanced High School and College level literature.
Textbooks & Reading Materials
- Choral Folder, pencil, assigned music.
Expectations & Classroom Conduct:
General Rehearsal Expectations:
Collegiate focus and application of musical aptitude are expected. Be in your assigned seat with your folder, on time and ready to work. Students may only leave class with a previously issued pass or for other unique circumstances. Hats, food, gum and drinks are not permitted in class.
- In School: Unless you are excused from school, you are expected to be in class. A single skip WILL result in a ZERO for the daily assessment and/or the right to take part in upcoming concerts.
- Concerts, Dress Rehearsals and Sectionals: There are several REQUIRED Concert performances each semester, as well as two mandatory dress rehearsals. Absences from these will only be excused in the case of family emergencies, AND with a note and phone conversation with a parent or guardian. Absences for any other reason may result in a loss of credit for the course, at the teacher’s discretion.
Choral Music and Folders:
These are the property of the School. The privacy afforded a student with regard to lockers or personal notebooks does not apply to a BHS Choral Folder or its contents. The minimal expectation is that you are absolutely prepared for rehearsals and concerts. If taking the music home from time to time is necessary for you to accomplish this, please do so. Students who lose, steal, or vandalize BHS Folders and/or music will be responsible for reimbursing the music department for the aforementioned materials.
Grading Policies: (Please also see the BHS Music Standards tab of this website)
Standards Based grading:
Standards-Based Grading places emphasis on student achievement as the chief factor in grading and assessing students. It is a grading format that is designed to better report student understanding to parents in a given subject. A student’s grade in choir reflects their ability to master concepts by the end of each term.
Why is this Occurring in Choir?
Eventually all classes at the secondary level will be assessed in this way. The nature of a music class is all about performance – knowing through doing. In short, the way we demonstrate knowledge is by performing that knowledge. This is really the same basic way music classes have always been assessed- it is just in a more formal way. For a detailed explanation of the standards themselves and how they are being evaluated, please refer to the BHS Music Standards tab at the top of this page.
Chamber Choir students will be assessed:
1. Each week via productivity, progress made, and following rehearsal protocol (posture, breathing, etc).
2. Each quarter via individual assignments.
3. Each semester via mid-term and final exams.
4. Through performance in an end of term public concert.
5. Preparation for run-out concerts in the community.
Other Important Information: