District 3 Honors Band
Band students have a four-year rotating list of audition music for their prepared solo piece. They also need to perform scales, as well as be ready to sightread.
Here are a few notes about solo piece preparation:
- Treble clef euphonium players play the trumpet solo.
- Flute players who wish to be considered for piccolo parts will perform the Trio from “Stars and Stripes Forever’ in addition to the regular flute audition requirements (this does not change from year to year).
- The percussion audition requirements are the same as for All State except that mallet players will not be asked to play scales.
For scales, please note the following:
- All scales are to be memorized.
- All wind instruments will perform the following scales from memory as indicated on the scale sheets: E flat, A flat, D flat, C, and F (concert pitch).
- All wind instruments will perform the chromatic scale from memory–two octaves as indicated on the scale sheets.
- All major scales are to be tongued and played at quarter note=120
- Treble clef euphonium players use the trumpet scale sheet.
Sight reading will include:
- Keys will be one of the following: concert F, E flat, A flat, G, or C (Not B flat).
- Simple meter 2/4, 3/4, 4/4
- Whole, dotted half, half, quarter, eighth, and dotted quarter notes and rests
- Repeat sign
- Tempo markings will be chosen from the following: Allegro, Largo, Andante, Moderato, Adagio, Vivace,
- Dynamic markings may include pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, cresc., decresc,
- Articulations may include slurs, tonguing, staccato, legato, accents
- Additionally, flutes, clarinets, trumpets, saxes will include: sixteenth notes in various patterns and dotted eighth notes