January 4, 2018: Sent to Seventh and Eighth Grade Band Parents
Happy New Year!
I hope this email finds you and your family safe and warm! The weather forecast sure is ominous!
I wanted to remind everyone about the BJH Seventh and Eighth Grade Bands Concert scheduled for Wednesday, January 17 at 7:00 PM in the BJH Gymnasium.
Each band will perform separately and then we will combine for three pieces. I anticipate the concert will last about 45 minutes. It should be an awesome night of music!! Admission is free. Please invite family, friends, and neighbors! We love performing for a large, appreciative crowd! ☺
Musicians will need to be at school between 6:30 and 6:40 PM on concert night. (Doors will open at 6:20). Dress for musicians is “formal concert attire”—all black. This is a change from last year. The “look” we are going for was shared in a website post back in September. You can find that here:
If you are not able to pull together “all black” for this concert, last year’s concert attire (black from the waist down, white dress shirt) will be fine.
We are looking forward to sharing our music with you on 1/17/18! See you then!
-Heidi Anderson, BJH Band Director
PS- Thank you to everyone for the notes, cards, and gifts over the holidays. They were much appreciated!!
December 4, 2017: Sent to Sixth Grade Band Parents
This is just a reminder that the Sixth Grade Band will be performing in the 6th Grade Band & Chorus Concert on Monday, December 11. The concert will be held in the Brunswick Junior High School Gymnasium. It begins at 7:00 PM and should last about 45 minutes. I am SO excited to share your young musician’s hard work with you. I think you will be amazed at the progress they have made since September! The concert is open to the public and admission is free. Invite your relatives, friends, and neighbors!
The building will open at 6:30. The musicians should arrive between 6:30 and 6:40 and should report directly to the band room.
Dress for this concert is our “formal concert attire”: black from “neck to toes”. Boys may wear a long tie if they’d like. If you are curious about the “look” we are after, there are some pictures posted on the website to use as a reference. You can find that post here:
Also coming up THIS Saturday (December 9) is the Annual Music Boosters Christmas Tree and Wreath and Multicultural Bake Sale! The sale begins at 8 AM and ends at 11:00 AM or when we sell out! Freshly cut trees are $30 each (there are usually a HUGE variety of sizes). Decorated wreaths are $15 and $25. There should be a WIDE range of breads, candy, etc… for sale including our “cookie bar” where you can fill a box with an assortment of your favorites. Come early for the best selection!
Just a reminder that we are asking all music parents who are able, to bring in something for the bake sale. There is no “sign up” but we are looking for your family’s favorite “festive treats”: cookies, bars, breads (sweet or savory), fudge, etc….
You can find more information on the Brunswick Junior High School Music Boosters facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Brunswick-Junior-High-School-Music-Boosters-884981201591883/ and on our Music Department website: http://www.brunswick.k12.me.us/handerson/
The email I sent out to band parents about this event is posted on my email archive page:
(This page. Scroll down…. November 16)
Thanks for all you do to support your young musician!
See you soon!
-Heidi Anderson, BJH Band Director
November 16, 2017: Sent to ALL Band Parents
October 27, 2017: Sent to ALL Band Parents
We have two “big events” in the next couple of weeks and we need your help!
1.) On Friday, Nov. 3 and Saturday, Nov. 4; the BJH Music Department will present our annual musical production—this year “Homeroom”. Hopefully you caught the great article in last week’s Forecaster about the show and cast!
For both evening shows, we will be “auctioning” cabaret seating as a fundraiser for the Music Department. We will have 5 tables that seat 6-8 and each table will be set with an assortment of goodies for the “high bidders” to enjoy during the show or take home for later. We still have quite a few “slots” unfilled for this event. Could you please take a look at the sign-up and help where you can?
2.) On Thursday, Nov. 9; BJH is hosting the Maine Music Educators Association District III 7th & 8th Grade Honors Band and Chorus Auditions. Between 3:00-8:00, we’ll have approximately 575 students and their teachers from around the region, coming to the school to audition. We have a number of “man power” needs (working concessions, supervising audition areas to be sure we are keeping “on schedule”, providing dinner for judges and audition support staff) as well as some donations needed for the concession sales (proceeds to benefit the BJH Music Department). This is a HUGE undertaking and we need your help. (We also will have 20-30 student volunteers!) Please check out the Auditions volunteer sign-up and help if you can! We are particularly in need of someone to take on the “Judges’ Supper” and some folks to work concessions!
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Halloween Parade Reminders:
- Participating students will stay afterschool on Tuesday to prep for marching. They should bring everything they need for the parade with them in the morning (instrument, lyre, music prepped for marching, costume!).
- You should pick your musician up at the Junior High following the parade (around 5:15). For safety reasons, all participants are required to take the busses back to the Jr. High. (They’ll need to pick up all of their belongings from the school anyway.)
- If you volunteered to help with the parade on your child’s participation slip, I NEED YOU. ☺Please be in the gymnasium at the Junior High by 2:45 to help the students line-up. You’ll be marching down to the mall with us, help supervise while we are waiting for the parade to begin, march the parade, and return to the school on the busses with the students. Costumes are optional!
Thanks again to everyone who has volunteered!! See you soon!!
-Heidi Anderson, BJH Bands
October 16, 2017: Sent to ALL Band Parents
This is just a reminder that Halloween Parade Forms were due today from ALL band students. If your child has not returned the form yet, please help them get that in as soon as possible. If you need a form, you can find it on the “Document Holder” page of the BJH Music website. To clarify: this is not a permission slip—it is a “participation form” so that I know who is participating and who is NOT participating.
If your child IS participating in the parade, be sure they have a “marching lyre”—the device that attached to their instrument to hold their music.
Most 7th & 8th graders should have one from previous years but most 6th grade students will need to purchase one! You should be able to find lyres at any store that sells band supplies including the Music Center (Tontine Mall) and from David French Music https://www.davidfrenchmusic.com (under “accessories”, look for “marching”.) You can even find them on Amazon! NOTE: not all trumpet and sax lyres fit all instruments. If you’re purchasing locally, bring the instrument with you. If you’re ordering online, look carefully at the lyre “design”—straight, “L” shaped, etc… I’ll post more lyre tips and suggestions for “type” on the website!
Parade volunteers will be getting an email with some details next week. If you did check the “volunteer” box on your child’s form, not to worry! It’s not too late! Be in the Jr. High gymnasium at 2:30 on October 31! The more, the merrier….Costumes for parents are optional. ☺
We have several other music department events coming up that we will need help with:
- The first is a request for “food platters” or beverages for this year’s BJH Musical “cabaret table” auction. You can find more information and sign up to help here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b084bacaf2da64-bjhmusical
- BJH is hosting this year’s MMEA District III 7th & 8th Grade Honors Auditions on Thursday, November 9. Please be looking for more information on how you can help with this monumental undertaking!!
- The Annual BJH Music Boosters Tree, Wreath, and Bake Sale is scheduled for Saturday, December 9! Thank you to Becky Wilkoff (tree/wreath coordinator) and Darcee Pantaz (bake sale coordinator) who are organizing this major fundraiser! You’ll be hearing from them soon on how you can help!
Please note: once the Musical, Auditions, and Tree & Wreath Sale are over, we’ll have quite a break before we’ll be asking for your help again. I didn’t want to scare anyone away…. ☺
Thank you in advance for your help with our upcoming events! We could not “do what we do” without the fantastic support of our parents and family members!!
September 29, 2017: Sent to ALL Band Parents
If you are receiving this, you are the parent/guardian of a band student!
We are off to a great start this year and are already producing some good music! I am VERY impressed with the hard work of the students during rehearsals! If you haven’t heard much practicing at home, please know that “home practice” IS an expectation. ☺ Because practice needs are individualized, if your child isn’t sure what they should be working on, have them see me and I can be sure they have a practice list specifically targeted for the skills they need to work on.
Here are a few important “Housekeeping” things:
- If you haven’t already done so, please bookmark (and check often) the BJH Music Website. You can navigate to the site from the BJH homepage—Departments (top menu bar)—Music or go directly to http://www.brunswick.k12.me.us/handerson. The site is updated regularly and will have all the information you need. Some of the “features” I’d like to highlight:
- E-mail archive: find past emails that have been sent—organized by date, newest on top.
- “Document Holder”- find downloadable permission slips, etc…
- Calendar- you can merge our google calendar with yours! ☺ (please note: not ALL events on the BJH Music Calendar involve ALL band students!)
- Please “subscribe” to receive new posts via email!
- Our first “Music Parent Night” is THIS TUESDAY, October 3 from 6:30 to 7:30 in the band room. The Music Parent Night is a wonderful chance to find out how you can help support your child and the BJH Music Program as well as connect with other music parents and ask any questions you may have. We have a couple of events coming up that will need significant parent support:
- MMEA District III 7th & 8th Grade Honors Auditions on November 9 (we’ll be hosting 500+ students and their teachers from 30 schools around the region as they audition for a spot in the DIII 7th & 8th Grade Honors Band and Chorus)
- Our annual Tree, Wreath, and Multi-Cultural Bake Sale on December 9. The trees and wreaths have been ordered but we still have some logistical details that need to be worked out.
- Please check and make sure that your child’s first and last name is clearly labeled on the outside of their case and also on the outside of their “band binder”. This helps get “lost” items back to their owners! ☺
- Your child has a couple of assignments due on MusicFirst (our online classroom). All students have received their log-in info and a brief demo of the site. Please ask them to show you what it’s all about!
- Percussion Parents: you will be receiving a separate email from me in the next week or so with a list of stick bag requirements for your percussionist. Please remind your percussion student that their personal sticks and mallets should be labeled with their name (a fine point permanent marker usually works for this) and should be kept in their stick bag (which is best stored in their locker). More to come in the e-mail….. ☺
If you would like to receive updates at a different address or would like to add people to this distribution list, please respond to this email and I will adjust my list! You can also find a copy of this email on the website’s “E-mail archive” page—see above.
I look forward to seeing you at our Music Parent Night on Tuesday! If you can’t make it but would like to help with any of our upcoming events, please let me know and I will keep you in the loop!
Thank you for your support of Music Education in Brunswick!
See you Tuesday!!,
Heidi Anderson, BJH Instrumental Music