P.S. ELA-1 Language: Demonstrate command of the conventions of Standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
A. Notice and correct grammatical and mechanical errors in writing.
The terms, their definitions and their parts of speech will be emphasized on the Vocabulary 2 test. The test will resemble the same format as the Vocabulary 1 test.
1. ambiguous- (adj) having a double meaning
2. amour- (n) a love affair
3. brood- (v) to worry; (n) offspring
4. contiguous- (adj) joining at the edge
5. convivial- (adj) socially eating or drinking
6. crescendo- (adj) gradual increase in loudness
7. echolalia- (n) repetition of what is said or sounded
8. hauteur- (n) arrogant pride
9. impetuous- (adj) impulsive
10. languid- (adj) relaxed
11. melancholy- (n) sadness
12. obstetrical- (adj) related to childbirth and pregnancy
13. oculist- (n) a doctor dealing with eye-care
14. punctilious- (adj) strictly observing to rules/customs
15. spectroscopic- (adj) related to an optical instrument
16. staid- (adj) of a steady and sober character
17. subterfuge- (n) evasive
18. sumptuous- (adj) rich and costly
19. vacuous- (adj) empty
20. vinous- (adj) nature and characteristic of wine
You will have a vocabulary test next class. The format of the vocabulary test appears on the following link if you prefer to be more familiar with the emphasis of the test. The test is designed to emphasize usage in order that your recall of the words will be more than just a fleeing memory: Sample Vocabulary Test