Complete the questions after the assigned reading. The questions provide you with a focus for what will be emphasized on the literary section of the mid-year exam. The following overview provides one of the central themes of the novel. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is much more than a powerful indictment against racial intolerance. The literary classic is a moving and compassionate story of the very young who must somehow grow up in an imperfect world. Scout Finch, the young narrator of the novel, cannot fully understand the crisis of conscience that confronts the town of Maycomb where she lives.
1. Where did Scout and Jem go with Calpurnia?
2. Why was Lula angry with Calpurnia?
3. Why did Calpurnia speak differently at the church?
4. Who was waiting on the porch when the children arrived home from the church?
1. Who is Sinkfield?
2. How did Aunt Alexandra classify any person from Maycomb?
3. Who is Cousin Joshua?
4. Why did Scout begin to cry in front of Atticus?
1. What did Scout think was under her bed?
2. What did Dill explain as the reason to why he ran away?
3. Where did Dill hear he could get babies?
4. Why did Dill reckon Boo Radley’s never run off?
1. Why did Mr. Link Deas and the others visit Atticus?
2. Who is Mr. Underwood?
3. Where did Atticus take the car?
4. How did Scout get Atticus out of a tight situation?
5. Who had Atticus covered all along?
1. Who is Mr. X Billup?
2. How does Mr. Underwood feel about negroes?
1. According to Jem, why are mix children real sad?
2. Who is Mr. Gilmer?
3. Who is Robert E. Lee Ewell?
1. Who is Mayella Violet Ewell?
2. What is a chifforobe?
3. Why did Mayella fear Atticus?
1. What is Tom’s physical impairment?
2. Did Mr. Gilmer fairly prosecute the case?
3. Why is judge Taylor a heroic figure?
4. How did Tom’s version of what happened differ from Mayella’s version?
1. What year did the trial take place?
2. Who is Mr. Dolphus Raymond?
3. Why does Mr. Raymond pretend to be the town drunk?
1. Who interrupted the trial and why?
2. How did Scout first realize that the jury had convicted Tom?
1 How did Jem react to the jury’s decision?
2 How did the population of blacks attending the trial react to Atticus?
3. How did Bob Ewell react towards Atticus?
1. What is the most sickening thing to Atticus?
2. Why does Jem believe that Boo Radley wants to remain inside his house?
1. Why did Miss Maudie hold Scout’s hand?
2. Who are the Mrunas?
3. Who is J. Grimes Everett
4. Who is Mrs. Grace Merriweather?
5. What is the missionary society?
6. Who was shot with seventeen bullet holes?
7. How did Aunty act like a lady in Scout’s eyes?
1. Where did Jem and Dill go with Atticus?
1. What is the Grit paper?
2. How is Miss Gates an example of hypocrisy?
1. Who are Misses Tutti and Frutti Barber?
2. What did Aunt Alexandra mean when she expressed, Somebody just walked over my grave?
3. Why was Scout dressed up like a pork?
1. Who scared Scout on the way to school?
2. What happened to Scout during the pageant?
3. Why did Jem and Scout have to turn back to the school?
4. What happened on the way home from the pageant? (this is the climax folks)
1. What happened to Bob Ewell?
2. Who was standing in the corner of Jem’s room?
1. Why did Heck Tate want to Let the dead bury the dead?
2. What did Scout believe would be like shooting a mockingbird?
3. What did Atticus thank Boo Radley for?
1. What did Scout see from Boo Radley’s porch?
2. What is the significance of The Grey Ghost?