The following questions emphasize the important developments in part 1 of the novel TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Complete the questions after each assigned reading. Your answers will be collected before the exam over the novel. You will be able to use the study guide questions during the reading quizzes, but not during the exam. Most of the questions appear in the same order as the event that is represented in the novel.
1. Who is Simon Finch
2. How old was Scout when her mother died?
3. Who is Charles Baker Harris?
4. What is wrong with the Radley pecans?
5. How did Boo Radley get into trouble with the law?
1. Who is Miss Caroline Fisher?
2. Why did Scout get into trouble with Miss Fisher?
3. Who is Calpurnia?
4. Who is Walter Cunningham?
1. What is Old Sarum?
2. Why was Miss Fisher terrified when she saw Burris Ewell?
3. How did Atticus convince Scout that she must remain in school?
1. What did Scout discover in the tree in front of the Radley house?
2. What is hot steam?
3. Who is Miss Stephanie Crawford?
4. What did Scout hear when she fell out of the tire?
1. Who is Miss Maudie Atkinson?
2. What does Miss Maudie inform Scout about Boo Radley?
3. Why does Jem and Dill want to give Boo a note?
1. Who is Mr. Avery?
2. What unusual event occurred on Dill’s last night in Maycomb?
3. How did Jem lose his pants?
4. When Jem went to retrieve his pants how did he discover them?
1. What are three items that Jem and Scout discover in the tree?
2. Who filled the knot hole in the tree with cement?
3. What was the reason given for filling the knot hole?
1. Why was school canceled?
2. Who did the snowman resemble at first?
3. whose house caught on fire?
4. Who placed a blanket around Scout during the fire?
1. What did Cecil Jacobs tell Scout?
2. Who is Atticus defending?
3. Why are the people in Maycomb angry with Atticus?
4. Who is Aunt Alexandra?
5. Who is Francis?
6. Why did Scout get spanked by Uncle Jack?
1. According to the story, why is it wrong to shoot a mockingbird?
2. Why were Jem and Scout ashamed of Atticus?
3. Who is Tim Johnson?
4. Who is Heck Tate?
5. Who shot Tim Johnson?
1. Who is Mrs. Henry Lafayetter Dubose?
2. Why did Jem cut the tops off from Mrs. Dubose’s camellia bushes?
3. Why did Atticus make Jem read to Mrs. DuBose?
4. How did Mrs. Dubose win?