P.S ELA-2 Reading Analysis: Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text, including determining where the text leaves matters uncertain.
A. Evaluate the relevant themes and synthesize how they are present in the novel in oral and written responses.
P.S ELA-3 Reading Craft and Structure: Determine an author’s point of view or purpose in a text in which the rhetoric is particularly effective, analyzing how style and content contribute to the power, persuasiveness or beauty of a text.
A. Understand SOAPSTone: Speaker, Occasion, Audience, Purpose, Subject, Tone
The Marius study guide questions, along with the Marius quiz,
is due on DAY 11
1. How does Mademoiselle Gillennormand earn the title prude?
2. Why is Mademoiselle Gillennormand sad?
3. Who else lives with the Gillennormands; how is he treated?
The Grandfather and the Grandson
1. Explain why Pontmercy’s son does not live with him.
2. What risk does Pontmercy take every two or three months?
3. How is Victor Hugo’s life portrayed through arius?
4. Why does Marius feel an aversion to visiting his father?
5. What request does Pontemercy make of Marius in the letter that he leaves his son?
6. What does Marius learn from the old church warden?
7. Who is Theodule?
The Excellence of Misfortune
1. Why does Marius refuse the money from his aunt?
2. What is the significance of the color black to Marius and the manner that he lives?
3. How does Marius misinterpret his grandfather’s feelings?
4. What kind gesture does Marius perform for is neighbors?
The Conjunction of the Stars
1. Why aren’t there any girls in Marius’s life?
2. Who is Ma’am Bougon; where in the novel has she previously appeared?
3. What happens to the father and the daughter?
The Noxious Poor?
1. What does the letter from Jondrette request?
2. According to Marius who are Les Miserables?
3. When should charity ought to be greatest according to Marius.
4. Who is the Philanthropist and his daughter?
5. Describe the conflict between the Philanthropist and Jondrette; how is Marius involved?
6. What event foreshadowed Jondrette’s true identity?
7. What happens to M. Leblanc when Javert arrives?