Brunswick adopted Math in Focus four years ago and we have been working hard to implement the program. Math in Focus addresses topics in greater depth at each grade level. We will build on the skills your child learned last year using the Math in Focus kindergarten curriculum. Here are the areas covered in first grade:
- building problem-solving skills and strategies
- counting, comparing, and writing numbers to 100
- adding and subtracting 1-digit and 2-digit numbers to 100
- classifying and sorting shapes and patterns
- measuring length
- using calendars and telling time to the hour and half-hour
- gathering, recording and analyzing data in charts and graphs
Watch for letters to come home at the beginning of each chapter explaining what we will be working on and what you can do to support your child’s learning.
If you have any questions about Math in Focus, please let me know!