For Community Partners Tab
An Extended Learning Opportunity (ELO) provides an opportunity for students to explore their interests and expand their learning outside the classroom. This is a unique opportunity to help a motivated student explore your field. We hope that you will be willing to help us with your expertise. Students are asked to find a community partner in their chosen field of study to help guide them through their inquiry and serve as a resource to them. Students are expected to meet with this partner regularly as they progress throughout the project.
Community Partner Benefits:
○ Enhance partnerships with schools and builds a positive community image
○ Influences and contributes to the educational growth of students
○ Provides opportunities to share experiences, insights and knowledge with students
○ Prepares a higher skilled and motivated workforce
○ Improves supervisory and motivational skills for employees by working with students; reenergizes current employees
○ Assists young people in understanding what employers expect of employees
○ Involves employees as mentors
The community partner should be:
- A professional or ‘expert’ in given field
- Willing to provide help when needed
- Sensitive to student’s level of comprehension
- Willing to have photos taken with them
- Willing to report if student is not reaching the mentor’s expectations
- Provide expertise and advice within the given field of study
- Guide student towards final skill level or product
Responsibilities of the Community Partner:
- Conduct an interview of student(s) based on criteria for an employee in a similar position.
- Work with the BHS ELO Coordinator or lead teacher to develop learning agreements with a set of expectations around student performance.
- Provide an orientation to the policies and procedures of the Community Partner site for the student(s).
- Provide adequate supervision and guidance to meet the student(s) ELO Learning Plan objectives and goals.
- Communicate with the student’s ELO Coordinator or lead teacher on a regular basis.
- Report student’s absence or tardiness to the ELO Coordinator in a timely manner
- Participate in an assessment of the student’s work.
- Communicate in a timely manner any issues or concerns.
- Adhere to all Federal and/or State Regulations regarding the employment of labor laws and other safety regulations that apply.