These files can be opened using email programs such as Outlook or Apple Mail. Outlook folders are not deleted from the Outlook server until the last step.
Create an Archive Folder On Your Computer
- Go to the Finder and open a new window.
- Choose a folder for your archive to reside, such as within Documents or Downloads.
- Go to “File”, then click on “New Folder”
- Give the folder any name such as “Archive” or “Old Emails”.
- Open this folder in a new window. Keep it visible for the next step.
Copy Outlook folders
- Select a folder in Outlook that you wish to archive.
- Drag the Outlook folder to the archive folder you just created. The folder will be copied into your archive window. There is no progress indicator. Large folders may take a few minutes to copy over the network.
- Verify folders have been copied to the destination folder successfully.
Note 1: Copy the top-most folder and sub-folders separately. Copying the top folder does not copy subfolders.
Note 2: Folders larger than 2GB need to be split up.
Delete folders from Outlook.
- Select folders you wish to remove.
- Go to the top menu bar of the Outlook screen, click “Edit”, then “Delete”.
Empty your deleted items folder
- Click once to select the Outlook folder named “Deleted Items”. It has a trash can icon.
- Click once on a message in the list of Deleted Items to select it. “Shift-click” or “command-click” to select multiple emails.
- Go to “Edit”, then “Delete” at the top of the screen.
- Confirm that you want to “Permanently delete” these items.
After this step, folders are available only from the archive on your computer or by an archive extraction process performed at the downtown tech office.