Welcome back to another great school year. The REAL school is thrilled to invite you to share our new space and eat some ice cream. We are hosting an open house on Sept 20th from 4-6. We are thrilled with the new school and want to share it with you. Please let us know if you will be joining us for this event. We have included a letter with all the details. Please feel free to share this invite with others. We look forward to seeing you.
Click to download letter!
Our adventure-based Special Education school program will serve students who require specialized instruction and clinical mental health treatment throughout their school days. For 30 years, the REAL School’s philosophy and practice has provided highly individualized, strengths-based educational programming to illuminate, celebrate, and leverage the gifts in each student. We have a strong history of success in meeting the needs of a widely diverse student demographic (including disaffected students with and without learning and/or emotional disabilities, with lagging social/cognitive skills, or with other health impairments).
Our mission is to bring success to any student in grades 3-12 who has failed to thrive in other school settings.
REAL School’s Special Education Program Will Offer the Following
Supports and Accommodations:
- Small Group Specialized Instruction provided by certified Special Educators and Licensed Clinical Social Workers, with 1:1 support as needed
- Flexible, personalized, academic assignments, exemplars, and schedule;
- access to supervised breaks in a designated space as needed;
- Specialized Instruction throughout the day, featuring hands-on, authentic applications of academic skills and concepts through multidisciplinary, project-based, service learning
- Therapeutic Milieu, including: treatment plans for all students; Individual and group counseling; classroom structures to maximize positive peer culture; ongoing access to social work services; school-wide and individual positive behavior supports; frequent Debriefing;
- Silent Mentoring;
- Restorative Learning Process in lieu of traditional disciplinary practices;
- Weekly Social Work Groups and Teambuilding Sessions
- Adventure-Based context for personal growth and academic learning: challenge-by-choice;
- Ongoing access to activities that promote social/emotional development
- Intensive Advisory Program, providing close, caring relationships with school staff member(s) to increase connectedness and school engagement
- Cross-systemic services; parents’ programming.
- The Brunswick REAL School website is here, if you have questions please contact Barbara Gunn at 207-319-1900.