Good afternoon,

I am sorry my weekly update is a day late but it has been a whirlwind over the past two days. I hope this email finds you all well and rested after a week with your kids!

CALENDAR UPDATES

Tomorrow – 7 a.m there is a sectional for trumpets in Concert Band

5 p.m – 8 p.m – FUNDRAISER AT FIVE GUYS!!!!!

Thursday – 7 a.m – Morning Band

5:30 p.m – Trombone/ Trumpet/ Bass sectionals for jazz

Friday –     4:00 p.m – Bus Departs BHS for the Airmen of Note Concert

5:00 p.m – Arrive for dinner

6:00 p.m – Depart dinner for South Portland High School

FUNDRAISER UPDATES

TOMORROW!

5:00 – 8:00 p.m.

Five Guys at Cooks Corner

Just mention you are there to support BHS Music

HONORS FESTIVAL OPPORTUNITIES

An opportunity exists for our students to be invited to perform at Carnegie Hall next February. This is through the Honors Performance Series that provides outstanding musicians a place to collaborate and work under internationally known composers and conductors with other students from across the nation.

The website is here: https://honorsperformance.org/our-programs/high-school-carnegie-hall-overview/ 

Nominations aren’t officially open yet, save a few that were pre-selected. If your student is interested, please let me know and I will assist them in any way I can.

Also, a reminder that All National Audition recordings are due NEXT FRIDAY!!!! I am at school everyday and am willing to help in any way. Just a reminder – students must have been selected for the 2017-2018 MMEA All state Festival to be considered for All Nationals. This is a SUPER RAD weekend for our students and a rare opportunity! All underclassmen who made All State should apply!

RECOGNITION

We just received news that Brunswick was chosen as one of only two districts in the state to earn the award for the 2018 Best Communities for Music Education!!!! We are one of two districts in the state to be given this prestigious award (the other being Cape Elizabeth)

The Best Communities for Music Education designation is awarded to districts that demonstrate outstanding achievement in efforts to provide music access and education to all students. To qualify for the Best Communities designation, We answered detailed questions about funding, graduation requirements, music class participation, instruction time, facilities, support for the music program, and community music-making programs. Responses were verified with school officials and reviewed by The Music Research Institute at the University of Kansas.

This is a testament to the level of support and care that the performing arts program has from the community and ESPECIALLY from the parents of our fabulous students! Thank you for all that you do to support, encourage, and promote the Music Program here in the Brunswick School Department. We are so lucky to live and work in a community that values the Music Program and sees it as a vital part of the human experience.

I believe that is all I have for this week.  Please let me know if you have any questions!!! Have a wonderful week.

~ Mike