Happy MLK day to you all,
I hope you have had a wonderful weekend and that you were able to enjoy some time with your families.
This coming week is midterm week, as I am sure you all know. I will address specifics below:
- 7:00 a.m – Morning band. This is ½ of the morning band mid-term. The other half is Thursday Morning at 7. Essentially, the same length as a normal mid-term, just divided in two days. It is a normal rehearsal, just worth 20% of their semester grade
- 11:30 a.m – District 3 rehearsal until noon
- 12:00 p.m – Pizza for Tuesday Jazz. Students should bring a beverage and $5 for pizza
- 12:30 p.m – Swingin’ the Blues rehearsal (Tuesday Jazz). All others are practicing at this point
- 1 – 3 p.m – Tuesday Jazz rehearsal
- 11:30 – District 3 rehearsal until 12
- IF WEATHER INTERRUPTS THE THURSDAY SCHEDULE, IT WILL BE MOVED TO FRIDAY!
- 7:00 a.m – Morning band. This is the second ½ of the morning band mid-term. Again, this is essentially the same length as a normal mid-term, just divided in two days. It is a normal rehearsal, just worth 20% of their semester grade ☺
- 11:30 a.m – District 3 rehearsal
- 12:00 p.m – Pizza for Thursday Jazz. Students should bring a beverage and $5 for pizza
- 12:30 p.m – Thursday Jazz Sectionals (ALL SECTIONS!!!)
- 1 – 3 p.m – Thursday Jazz rehearsal
- Band Mid-term. Students WILL NEED their instruments this day!!!
- 8:00 a.m – ESSENTIALLY ELLINGTON RECORDING!
- Thursday Jazz should be ready to play at 8
- We will break for lunch at some point. Students should bring desserts/ snacks
- Our plan is to be done by 3 but it might be earlier depending on fatigue and success.
- PLEASE – feel free to come in and listen at any point! It is so cool to hear and see the process. It is a truly amazing experience.
- This is one of the most exciting, tiring, and rewarding days of the year. I am so excited to share this process with our students!
- A HUGE thank you goes out to Jud Caswell who will once again be recording the Thursday band. This is a tremendous undertaking and we are so fortunate to have him in our community. THANK YOU not only from me, but from the Thursday jazz ensemble.
- The next pep band event will be on Tuesday, 1/23
- This is another “double header” game.
- Students should be ready to perform at 4 p.m on the 23rd.
- Since the game is on a Tuesday, Tuesday jazz will be on the 24th.
- Congratulations to the five members of the BHS jazz program who represented the music program with pride this weekend! The Combo, directed by internationally known saxophonist and Maine native Jeff Coffin, featured Kyra and Sophie. The honors band was directed by internationally know composer and bassist Kris Berg, included Katie and Niles. The jazz band was taught by educator and drummer Ken Clark from Timberlane High School in Plaistow, New Hampshire, had Chappy Hall in the trombone section. Congratulations to you all! We are proud of you.
I believe that is all I have for this week! Best of luck to all our students on their midterms
I hope you have a wonderful week. I am so excited to share some music making with our students this week.