My name is Brian Pressley, and I am the president of the Brunswick Education Association (BEA). I’ve been working as a teacher since 1993 and in the Brunswick schools since 1999. I currently have two daughters who are making their way up through the schools in the district. Their educational journeys have allowed me to get into all the buildings more than I might have otherwise, and I think that familiarity with the system, and the teachers in it, has been beneficial to the Association.
After the first year of representing the BEA as its president, I developed some general goals that guide me:
- Supporting members in their professional work
- Increasing the visibility of members’ professional opinions to the administration and district
- Helping members find ways to save money through membership
- Seeing that all contracts are carefully and fairly negotiated to best serve the majority of members while trying to be fair to all different groups under the contracts
- Building membership and trying to make the association more inclusive so that people on the Ed Tech/Secretary contract and the Teacher Contract all feel like they are part of one union
- Spreading important information and helping you find answers when you have questions
My job goes beyond those six quick points, but they do make up the backbone of my responsibilities. The Association also helps with liability insurance, grievances, and legal issues by helping you connect to the Maine Education Association (MEA) and the National Education Association (NEA).
Thank you for your time,
Brunswick Education Association